There’s no such thing as pneumonia season, like you would have a Flu season. If you and/or your health professional decide that you need to have a pneumococcal vaccine, you can receive it at any time of the year. If it’s flu season, you can even get a pneumococcal vaccine at the same time that you get your flu vaccine as long as you receive each shot in a different arm.
Who should get the Pneumococcal Vaccine?
Anyone over the age of 18 with certain risk factors is eligible to receive the pneumococcal vaccine at Allcare Pharmacy. Your pharmacist is happy to advise you if the vaccine is appropriate for you.
Pneumococcal vaccination is advised for:
- Everybody aged 65 years and over
- Adults aged 18 years and over with:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Chronic heart, respiratory, renal or liver disease
- Sickle cell disease
- Disorders of the immune system including cancer, HIV, and transplant patients
- Those with alcohol dependence**
- Those who are exposed to fumes through their work e.g. welders