WHO SHOULD GET THE FLU VACCINE?
Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible to get the vaccine at your Allcare Pharmacy. For certain ‘at-risk’ groups, the flu vaccine is highly recommended as you are more likely to experience serious complications if you catch the flu. If you are in one of these ”at-risk” groups and have a medical card, you may be entitled to receive the vaccine free of charge:
• Those aged 65 and over
• Those with a long-term medical conditions such as diabetes, heart or lung disease
• Those whose immune system is impaired due to disease or treatment
• Those with a body mass index (BMI) over 40
• Pregnant women (can be given the vaccine at any stage of pregnancy)
• Residents of nursing homes and other long stay institutions
• Healthcare workers
• People with regular close contact with poultry, water fowl or pigs
For anyone else the cost of the vaccine is €20
WHO IS THE VACCINE NOT SUITABLE FOR?
- Those with a history of severe allergic reactions to a previous dose of the vaccine or any of its ingredients.
- Any one on certain combinations of medicines that affect the immune system.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
For those in the ‘at risk’ groups listed above and have a GMS card the vaccination is free of charge.
For everyone else the vaccination is only €20.
HOW CAN YOUR ALLCARE PHARMACIST HELP?
Your Allcare Pharmacy Team can provide vaccination in our private consultation room in
the pharmacy. They can then either give you the vaccine or book you in for an appointment at a
time that suits.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT WHEN I GET THE VACCINE?
You will be protected about two weeks after having the vaccine.
Being vaccinated is likely to protect you against the flu. However, there is a small
chance of you catching the flu. The flu vaccine cannot give you the flu.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
Most people have no problems after the flu vaccine. However, some people may experience a mild fever, feel tired or have aches and pains. There can also be soreness, redness or swelling at the site of the injection. These problems are not serious and do not last long.
In very rare cases severe allergic reactions can occur. We are prepared to deal with these and ask you to remain in the pharmacy for 15 minutes after your vaccination, in case you have any immediate side effects.
To find out more about the Flu Vaccine, visit your local Allcare Pharmacy. Find your nearest Allcare Pharmacy here.