Vicks Vaporub 50g
What is Vicks Vaporub and want is it used for?
Vicks VapoRub is an ointment which is used to relieve nasal catarrh (inflammation of mucous membranes in the nose and throat), congestion (a blocked nose), sore throat and coughs due to colds. Vicks VapoRub contains four active ingredients: Camphor, Turpentine oil, Levomenthol and Eucalyptus oil.
How to use Vicks Vaporub:
For adults and children over 2 years of age:
Rub Vicks VapoRub on the chest and back and repeat up to 2-4 times a day as needed. Leave clothes loose to allow vapours to be inhaled easily.
As Inhalation Adults and children over 6 years:
- Place hot (not boiling) water in a suitable bowl for inhalation
- Melt one to two 5ml spoonful’s of Vicks VapoRub into the bowl of hot water
- Keep sufficient distance from mixture in bowl to avoid burning of the face due to hot vapours
- Inhale the medicated vapours for 10-15 minutes at a time
- Children should always be supervised
- Caution: Do not heat in the microwave or reheat this mixture
What you need to know before using Vicks Vaporub?
- Use if you are allergic to any of the actives or other ingredients
- use on children under 2 years
- use as an inhalation for children under 6 years
- use on broken skin, wounds or mucous membranes
- swallow or apply directly onto the nostrils, eyes, mouth or face
- use with heat wrap
Warnings and precautions:
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you:
- have a history of airway disease or asthma
- are pregnant. Vicks VapoRub should not be used on the mother’s chest during breast- feeding as there is a very low chance that the baby’s breathing may be affected
Do not smoke or go near naked flames - risk of severe burns. Fabric (clothing, bedding, dressings, etc) that has been in contact with this product burns more easily and is a serious fire hazard. Washing clothing and bedding may reduce product build-up but not totally remove it.